When building a website with WordPress, there are a lot of things that you need to consider. One of them is how your content interacts with the visitors. WordPress grants the option of allowing comments on pages and posts, which is a great way to keep things alive. But it does come with a set of pros and cons though.
By default, new posts on WordPress can be commented by any visitor. While comments are a factor of on page SEO, they may not always come with good intentions. If posts or pages get flooded with random, unrelated comments and spam links, it may actually hurt your ranking. Hence, it is useful to know how to disable comments on a WordPress site.
Here are the two most popular ways to turn off WordPress comments which will be covered in this tutorial:
- Tweaking the default article settings located in the WordPress dashboard;
- Setting up a plugin that provides more options and control over WordPress comments.
Table of Contents
How to Disable Comments on WordPress via Dashboard
The process of disabling WordPress comments is quite straightforward:
- Access the WordPress dashboard and navigate to Settings › Discussion section.
- Untick the box Allow people to post comments on new articles.
- Save the changes and all future posts will no longer present the option to add comments.
However, this does not turn off the comments on existing articles. Thus to disable them, you will need to do the following:
- Navigate to Posts › All Posts section, select all existing entries and edit them in bulk.
- Enter the dropdown list near the Comments section and choose the Do not allow option.
- Save the changes and the option to add new comments to existing posts will be turned off.
Keep in mind that comments which are already approved will still be on the live website. Follow these instructions to remove them completely:
- Go to the Comments section of the WordPress dashboard.
- Select the ones you wish to remove and select the Unapprove or Move to Bin options.
That’s all! You now know how to disable and remove WordPress comments on new and existing pages.
How to Disable Comments on WordPress via Plugins
Installing WordPress plugins empower the user to extend the functionality of his website and manage it more efficiently. If the above method of disabling WordPress comments seems too difficult, it can be simplified with the help of plugins. Here are three popular plugins and their key features that can aid in this task.
- Disable WordPress comments on the whole website;
- Turn off WordPress comments in selected areas, such as posts, pages, or media.
- Turn off comments on the whole website;
- Disable comments in selected areas, such as pages, posts, or media;
- Removing external links from existing comments and a few other SEO focused tools.
- Disabling comments on new posts, pages, or media.
- Modifying comments on existing website elements
Pros and Cons of Disabling Comments on WordPress
Now that we know how to disable comments on WordPress, let’s overview some advantages of doing it:
- Less time consumption. Instead of moderating comments, you’ll have more time to focus on other aspects.
- Helps avoid spam. Some comments are aimed at flooding a website with advertisements or spam.
- It keeps things tidier. Long and heated discussions may not look attractive depending on the purpose of the page.
- Faster page speed. Fewer elements mean that your content will load quicker!
However, a coin has two sides, and turning off comments on WordPress can also bring a couple of disadvantages:
- Less user interaction. Allowing comments provide users with a chance to interact with your content and voice their opinion.
- May affect on page SEO. While it is a small factor, comments related to your niche can help improve ranking.
- Less feedback and opportunities. Ever notice how popular posts on social media attract lots of comments? Who knows, you might find great opportunities or ideas among them!
In this tutorial, we’ve learned to disable comments on WordPress using inbuilt dashboard tools and through plugins. By doing so, you can control the content on your website more easily and avoid spam.
In case you have any other solutions, tips, or tricks, feel free to share them in the comments below!